Under treatment, what does it mean?

It may be that a social worker, such as a psychiatrist or a therapist, has told you and your parents that you have problems. If this is the case, don’t forget that you aren’t the only one in the world who sometimes finds things difficult. It may even be the case that someone has several problems at the same time. This is why social workers have developed all kinds of ways to help people.

When you receive help for things you find difficult, you usually go to a social worker who is trained to help people with problems. This is called therapy. This simply means that an adult helps you deal with problems so they bother you less. You usually talk with this social worker or practice exercises. A series of sessions will often take place.

It may also be that you find it difficult to go to school and that you need additional assistance. If this is the case, it would be better for you to receive outpatient treatment at a mental health care clinic. There, you will attend a kind of school while also receiving additional assistance and therapy.
Sometimes, your problems are so big that you can’t live at home anymore. If this is the case, you would also sleep at the clinic.

For all problems, however, there are things you or others can do to make you feel better and make life a bit easier. There are different ways to do this that research has shown to be effective.

If you would like to know more, please see Which treatments are available?

Share this page through:
Leave a comment

Do you feel we can improve this page? Is something missing? Can't find what you're looking for?
Please let us know!